What can you expect?
Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. is a global professional services firm, headquartered in New York City with businesses in insurance brokerage, risk management, reinsurance services, talent management, investment advisory, and management consulting. It comprises the operating companies Marsh, Mercer, Guy Carpenter, JLT and Oliver Wyman.
The Dublin-based Marsh & McLennan Innovation Centre UC (MMCIC) is an innovative R&D and data analytics hub that delivers industry-leading digital solutions for its clients and colleagues. It is of strategic importance to MMC and contains representatives from each of MMC’s operating companies.
Marsh Data Services is a department within the Marsh General Management function, headed by the CDO. Its mission is to provide a framework, with associated standards and data platforms, that enables Marsh colleagues and clients to maximize the value of their data assets. Transaction Data Management is a team within the MDS department that provides assurance on the quality of data in the various transaction masters.
Transaction Data Management is seeking a data engineering lead to continue the expansion of the team, to build on its existing achievements and mature its solutions for future. Reporting into the Engineering and Analytics Manager you will be a key member of a team at the centre of Marsh’s data journey.
What you will be rewarded with:
Our employees enjoy excellent benefits such as:
• Competitive salary with annual review
• Up to 12% pension contribution
• Healthcare cover
• Study Support
• Flexible working arrangements
• Sports & Social clubs/Wellness Programme
• Paid annual leave and ability to purchase additional leave days
• Travel ticket/bike to work/dental are optional
• Subsidised canteen
• 35 hour working week
We will count on you to:
- Demonstrate technical excellence by being responsible for the delivery of data platform architecture and ensuring that it is aligned with the agreed data and technology strategy
- Deliver data engineering projects by leveraging your experience and skills to assist the team in building the best architecture from ingestion through to data presentation. You will need to be technically curious, tackling problems without giving up, and producing solutions that less-experienced engineers can use, maintain, and learn from.
- Develop a deep understanding of the business, associated data domains and critically of the stakeholders involved. Demonstrate technical competency by helping to deliver data platform architecture and ensuring that it is aligned with the team goals.
- Support and coaching your colleagues and encourage and commit to implementing better practices, standards and continuous improvement.
- Apply business and data analysis skills in an Agile setting to deliver requirements, analysis requests, and L3 support.
What You Need to Have
- 5+ years working as a data engineer in an agile environment
- A demonstrable understanding of the Data Quality domain
- Proven Informatica DQ developer skills, with advanced knowledge of SQL in an Oracle environment, ETL, database and data warehouse design concepts focusing on reusable code through parameterisation and good design patterns
- Understanding of the agile development framework, and specifically Scrum, with the ability to coach those around them in applying agile techniques, interpreting user stories, creating tasks and delivering value to Product Owners
Interpersonal skills – every bit as important as the technical side
- Comfortable with responsibility to deliver and resilient enough to handle pressure to balance time, quality and scope.
- Assertive and fact-based communicator with excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills and an ability to explain technical issues to a business audience.
- Experience in a rapidly evolving and at times ambiguous environment, with a matrix of stakeholders.
- Influencing and negotiation skills in a virtual / remote environment – those stakeholders won’t manage themselves! You will be based in Dublin with the team, but your customers are in Europe, the US and Asia.
How the role is expected to evolve:
- 90 days: Become familiar with the domain and the stakeholders, adding value where you can see gaps, take responsibility for deliverables and contribute to advancing the team’s reputation and value proposition.
- 6 months: Based on your expertise, bring about change in the way we deliver that will enhance our value proposition, and coach your team in a way that will position them for further success.
- 12 months: Be a proven thought leader and trusted advisor within your domain, acting autonomously to deliver the appropriate level of service to your stakeholders.
- 2 years & beyond: Continue to expand the team’s capacity and capability to a point where it is inconceivable that we ever operated without you. At this point, you set the limits on how the role evolves.
What makes you stand out:
- Recognised technical certifications in applicable tools and methodologies
- Exposure to the wider Informatica product suite (e.g. Axon, PowerCentre, EDC,Big Data Engineer), BI visualisation solutions such as QlikView, Qlik Sense, cloud based technologies such as MongoDB, and scripting languages e.g. Python
- Leadership in an agile framework and delivery in a Scrum environment – Scrum Developer certification an added advantage.
- Experience with data lake operations and development
- Understanding of the insurance and / or insurance broking business domain
Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world's leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The Company's 76,000 colleagues advise clients in over 130 countries. With annualised revenue approaching $17 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses. Marsh advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions. Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities. Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organisations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit mmc.com, follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @mmc_global or subscribe to BRINK.
We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients regardless of their gender expression or identity, marital or civil partnership status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation or beliefs. We are proud of our inclusive culture where everyone feels empowered to bring their whole selves to work and thrive. Learn more about our foundational values, mission and vision for the future by reviewing our Greater Good Policy.